Follow Me on Pinterest

Sunday 23 January 2011

Oh, right! It's a new year!

Hello, 2011!

I am only about three weeks late in my "New Year/reflections on the past year" post. I don't usually have very much to say in this blog though. This will be a slightly random post.

My only New Year's resolution is to READ MORE! It is my own fault that I don't read as much as I used to. I really want to read, but I let other things get in the way. All the time. So, this year, I am working on that. Less tv and more books!

I love my free Kindle App for this reason. I don't need an expensive Kindle to read a Kindle book! And I love that. I have been finding old books and historical documents- all free, of course- and downloading them. I also found a romance novel for free, completely by accident. I was wanting to read a different novel by the same author and when I clicked on this one, it said the Kindle Edition was free! I stayed up til 1 reading last night! It was really nice to be reading again, even if it was just a romance novel for fun!

One of my goals is to study up on American History more, and Kindle definitely helps with that goal. I just need to make myself read and study and take the time.

Another goal is to read the Bible and also journal and, especially, PRAY! WHy are these things so hard to do?

Sewing, cooking, knitting, and cleaning out the basement are the rest of my goals. that last one will probably take an entire year, so that's why it makes the list!

I am also planning a trip to the UK in the spring, so I need to save my money! But I am now headed to a book sale! haha.

And one more thing on shopping. Thanks to my sister, I was able to buy a $20 Amazon.com gift card for only $10!! I love that! SO I am also going shopping on Amazon soon.

6 comments:

Rebekah said...

good stuff! Is your Kindle app on your computer? Do you not mind reading off your screen?

I was watching this British show called Kirstie's Homemade Home. (You would like it!) She went to this clothes recycling place where they sort through all these clothes that are unsold from charity shops or purchased from people and the ones in wearable condition are sent off to Africa and Eastern Europe and the ones that are not wearable are sent off to be remanufactured into insulation for houses. Amazing!

So, when you're cleaning out your basement don't throw any textiles away, send them off to Goodwill.

: )

PS, so glad you're blogging!

Rebekah said...

PS, a good way to keep up the reading while working on projects like sewing, knitting, or cleaning out basements is... audio books. I know, I know, I keep harping on about them but... I love them now. I can't help it!

rosie said...

I am so picky about people's voices in audiobooks, though!!! I can't help it! If someone has an annoying voice, I just can't deal with it. I started listening to Sherlock Holmes a few days ago, and I swear the guy couldn't READ! It drove me nuts.

But it IS a good plan, I won't argue with you!

the Kindle app is on my computer. I don't mind reading off the screen, because you can change the brightness and color of it, and I find that if I read too much on paper books, my eyes hurt (and anyway, I haven't read too much on Kindle YET, so my eyes haven't been sore--YET), so a screen doesn't bother me MORE or anything. Yes, it could be damaging my eyes in the long run, but when you find free Christian romance novels on Amazon, who can resist!?! :) I just finished The Apothecary's Daughter by Julie Klassen. free! That just makes me happy.

Also, HEY! Did you know that Liz Curtis Higgs, the author of the series in Scotland, the Jacob and Esau story, has done another 2 books set in Scotland which are the story of Ruth?? I haven't read them yet, but I want to! It's on my "to read" list!

rosie said...

Oh and about Kirstie's Homemade show, that sounds cool! (I always liked watching tv there because it was so different from here- well, some things, you know what I mean) And yeah, we definitely are bringing all our old clothes to Goodwill, simply to save on garbage, since we can only bring a certain amount a week to the dump! :) I am also going to be on the lookout for anything I can use in sewing!

Rebekah said...

I didn't know that... interesting, I'll have to look out for them!

I totally know what you mean about the reader on audio books. They have had some not so great ones on booksshouldbefree. You should try librivox.org cause you can pick the reader you like best. Their downloading process is a bit complicated so I like to use the other better, but if it makes or breaks the book then you should totally try that instead!

Rebekah said...

actually I've just discovered you can get librivox recordings on iTunes which is really easy! Don't know if they will have the full selection of readers or not, but definitely worth checking out, they are under pod casts and my guess without looking at it in full is that it would be easier to search for a specific book than scroll through everything...