Follow Me on Pinterest

Tuesday 17 June 2008

jeopard..........leopard


I think this is simply fascinating........

Merriam-Webster’s

Word of the Day
June 15
jeopardize
\JEP-er-dyze\
verb

Meaning
: to expose to danger or risk : imperil
Example Sentence
"I'm not willing to jeopardize my friendship with Camille by lying to her," said Luis.
Did You Know?
It may be hard to believe that "jeopardize" was once controversial, but in 1870 a grammarian called it "a foolish and intolerable word," a view shared by many 19th-century critics. The preferred word was "jeopard," which first appeared in print in the 14th century. (The upstart "jeopardize" turned up in 1582.) In 1828, Noah Webster himself declared "jeopardize" to be "a modern word, used by respectable writers in America, but synonymous with 'jeopard,' and therefore useless." Unfortunately for the champions of "jeopard," "jeopardize" is now much more popular. In fact, it's been about a hundred years since anyone has raised any serious objections to "jeopardize."


I would like to take this opportunity to be the first person in about a hundred years to seriously object to the word jeopardize!!!! We need to rid ourselves of such a modern word! It.....um...... "jeopards" the English language!


Words are great.



1 comment:

Bethany said...

you're silly. and that's why I love you. ha. Not really. but you're still silly and I still love you.
I don't spose you saw any of American Idol this year...? Well, the winner categorized himself as a "word nerd." hehe cute huh?
well, I'm glad you like words like this. can't say I can relate!