Follow Me on Pinterest

Wednesday 21 July 2010

A cat lady at 23....

(To whom it may concern: Look, I am very emotional about this situation, but I KNOW it's just a cat. I will get over this quickly-- I know how pathetic I am since it is just a cat and it's not like a person...)


I started watching Disney's "Oliver and Company" with the kids today, and the beginning scene moved me to tears. You know, the part where the kittens are being sold and little Oliver doesn't get chosen? And then the sign even says "free" and nobody comes and grabs him because it's raining outside (and also because if they did pick him it wouldn't be "Oliver and Company", which is based on Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens, so you KNOW it's depressing- at least until the end.....sorry, Charlie).

And I was totally crying because he's all alone, and yesterday was a very awful, emotional day for me: one of the kittens born on Monday took a turn for the worse. One of its legs was very swollen and black, and the moment Mom saw it she called the vet. We had to bring ALL the kittens and the cat in, of course, and I put them all in the carrier, and Kitty (the mama) was NOT happy, and as I was driving there was lots of noise back there. And then when I got to the vet and opened the car door and looked into the carrier, my heart was almost breaking because I saw the little injured baby by the door of the carrier, just laying there, and in the back of the carrier was Kitty huddled around her 5 other babies. I started crying instantly. I was like, "Mom, we are too late, I think," sniffing and trying to wipe away my tears.

Well, we saw it move so we went into the vet and the ladies rushed it back there, and then we finally got to talk to a doctor who said there was some kind of infection, and she wasn't sure if it would make it 24 hours, since it was very cold and kittens need their mom for warmth, so we would need to feed it ourselves and give it some medicine and buy a heating pad to keep it warm. And then if it DID live, it would have to wait a while but we would have to have the leg amputated. So, then my mom took them all home, and I went straight to work, after having a good cry about it. I know it may sound dumb, since it's a just a cat, but watching kittens suffer is AWFUL! I can only kill spiders and insects, I can't even bear to watch RODENTS die!

So, all day at work I had a headache from nto being able to cry (crying gives you a headaches, and not crying gives you a headache; can we win?), and I was picturing having a 3-legged cat, and it would have a great story to go with it, and I totally had already name it "Long John Silver" after the one-legged bad guy in Treasure Island. When I got home, it hadn't been too responsive, and by 12:30, it wasn't moving. I checked it again a couple times throughout the night, but it had died.

There, that's my story. Now I'm so sad every time I think about it. Poor little Long John!! He was all alone! And I buried him in the woods in the back yard, and I am really sad still. Plus, I got about 10 mosquito bites while I was out there! AND, I don't want to see my Kitty or the other kittens. At this moment, I'm pretty mad at Kitty. But I know it's not her fault, and being realistic, it dying saved em from even more bills. Because if it had lived I would have taken care of it. I can't just have animals killed! I wonder how much an amputation would have cost? Ugh.

This just isn't my week. Anyone want a kitten?

1 comment:

Rebekah said...

Rosie, I'm so sorry!!! Hope you're feeling better by now. Love you!